Heading Away for an end of Summer Vacation? Prepare Your Home!
Vacation is all about fun and relaxation. Here’s a simple checklist to help reduce the worry about what’s happening at home while you’re away.
- Turn off all electrical appliances.
- Remove perishable food from the refrigerator and take out the garbage.
- Arrange to have the newspaper and mail held until your return or have them picked up by a friend or neighbour.
- Arrange to have the grass cut and outdoor plants watered.
- Leave your vacation contact information with a neighbour so you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Set timers on interior lights.
- Make sure to unplug televisions, computers, and appliances susceptible to power surges.
- Advise your alarm company and local police if you will be gone for an extended period.
- Store jewellery and valuable items in a safe-deposit box.
- Shut off the water at the main supply.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside of the home.
- Consider a Home Security TV Light Simulator (available on amazon.ca) so at night it seems like someone is at home watching TV